viernes, 16 de mayo de 2014

SOAP CHALLENGE - GLYCERIN SWIRL


I have done several mica oil swirls in the past with a very satisfaying result, but I had never tried a glycerin swirl, and Amy Warden's soap challenges are all about trying new and challenging techniques, right? Well, this one really became a challenge for me.

When I signed up and saw the videos, I instantly fell in love with the look of one of the example pictures Amy posted. It looked like a stone carving and that made me think of ancient celtic symbols, the first of which that came to mind was the triple spiral. Three was a magic number for celts, it is related to the solar cycle, the beginning and the end and the perpetual learning (and we are constantly learning with these challenges, right? -wink eye- )

Now, I don't claim to know for real, but some say the triskele or triskelion was a symbol related to pregnancy: each spiral represented a solar cycle of three months, and three times three made the aproximately nine months that a pregnancy lasts. And this is why this spiral is also called the spiral of life. Being a trained doula myself I chose this interpretation because it comes closer to the heart. 

And with this in mind I started planning. For this project I really wanted to take advantage of the "indentations" that the glycerin creates in the soap, but, oh, boy! Mica glycerin swirl.... NOT like mica oil swirl.

I completely ruined a 3lb batch because glycerin just does not behave the same. I wished I had known that before, but glycerin doesn't "stay put" like oil does, instead, glycerin has a tendency to gather together. So I made the basic design with the droper and, before I could come back to it with the skewer, all I had was a few scattered pools of mica and glycerin all over my slab mold. The soap was hardening and I had no choice but to swirl them in whatever pattern and give up on that one. I don't completely dislike the soap that came out of it, specially because of the lovely essential oil combination I used, but it is really not worth posting, I think.

Being the stubborned person I am, I had to try again. Only one day left, and running out of fixed oils, so I decided on a much smaller batch, just in case. 
With this second batch I experienced the same "uncontrolable nature" of the mica and glycerin mix if you want to make a precise pattern with it, but I stayed close to the mold, running the skewer intermittently in order to make the mix run the path I wanted it to. I did so several times until I thought the soap batter could not be disturbed any more.

I thought long and hard before submiting my entry this month but, like the saying goes... the important thing is to participate.

Oils used: olive, coconut (bio), palm (bio), shea butter (bio), palm kernel, castor and corn.
Scent: essential oils of geranium, juniper, lavender and clary sage.
Colorants: violet and forest green from Gracefruit, as well as gold and silver micas from a local provider that is no longer in business.

To Amy and all my fellow participants: love your soaps, love your talent, thank you for so much inspiration!

12 comentarios :

  1. I love it!! Love that you persisted through and made a beautiful soap!!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I'm glad you participated. I thought the same with my entry, and almost didn't enter. But I do love your soap. And I love learning what you learned, the easy way by reading your blog! :) And your soap turned out very cool looking.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Well, my 11 yo daughter was out on a three day excursion with her school, so she hadn't seen the soap. When she came back I had the computer on with the link up open and one of her younger brothers said pointing at it: "this one is Mummy's" and she look at him and said: "what are you saying? Mummy's soaps are much better looking than that!!"
      Good thing she came back when she did. Had she come a day earlier, that comment alone would have been enough to discourage me completely from entering! LOL

      Eliminar
  3. Ditto to what Katrina said! I learned from you the easy way, too! Thanks for sharing! :) And the soap turned about pretty darn cool! :)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Katy, I went back to the tutorial and the link to the photo that made me fall in love with the technique and had me thinking about stone carvings. It's the one posted by Mossy Creek on The Soap Bar blog. I read the blog's post again and it does say that mica oil is fluid whereas glycerin mica beads up. I should have taken a hint from that!
      There's one children's movie we really like at home. It's called "Meet the Robinsons" and in that movie, every time the kid makes a mistake the whole family celebreates it: "Congratulations!! You made a mistake!!" And that is because one always learns more from mistakes than from success at first go :)

      Eliminar
  4. Another beauty with craters and ravines...I was trying to get that in mine as I love the look and I love your pattern!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you! Whatever the outcome, I did have a lot of fun planning and trying to create something diferent. Having your brain spinning with creative ideas and solutions to possible problems always feels great.

      Eliminar
  5. Your soap turned out beautiful, great job!

    ResponderEliminar
  6. I love the texture that the glycerine swirls give - so interesting! x

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. So do I, Tanya. I will certainly continue experimenting with it!

      Eliminar