viernes, 21 de marzo de 2014

SOAP CHALLENGE - DROP SWIRL TECHNIQUE



Ok, so this entry will be in English, since it's part of a soap challenge organized by Amy Warden from Great Cakes Soapworks in de USA, and there are participants from all over the world.

This is the first time I participate, but I have been following the challenges for quite some time and have even tried a few at my own pace. This time I decided to sign up regardless I entered the challenge or not because it was getting ridiculous, wanting to take part every month but never finding the time to do it. I figured this would push me to actually DO IT. And it did.

I must say I have not experienced much technical dificulty with this one, apart form the fact I am cutting it a bit fine with time, but that's me, always (almost) late: signed up the day before the deadline, poured the soap on the 18th, just one day before the link-up opened, unmolded on the 20th -still too soft, not wise to cut it yet-, kept my fingers crossed that the nex day, with only 24 hours to finalize things, it would be a sunny day with good enough light to take a decent picture with my technology impaired old camera (and owner of), so I could actually post my entry on time. In the meantime, I was writing this post in the hope the soap would be worth entering the challenge (yes, I wrote most of this post BEFORE I even saw the final soap, at least I tried to be organized in that area :P).



The trace was, I thought at the time of pouring, the right consistency. And I had no time for a second go at it anyway, so this was it.

Turns out I was THRILLED when I cut the soap. I am very pleased with the results. But.... we had a foggy day in Barcelona on the 21st. Foggy in Barcelona?!?!?! We hardly ever get fog over here (sad face). So I tried my best, but the photos are not that great, unfortunately. 



This is actually a soap, with these very colours, that I have been wanting to make for a while. The primary school my kids attend has a very cool music programme in which every class starting 3rd grade forms a Big Band, with their name and everything. My oldest daughter's Big Band is the Big Band Blue, and here you can see the logo in their t-shirt.

So these are the colours that inspired my soap. Hope they convey the idea because I'm planning on giving them away to the other parents in the class as a small token of appreciation. My family and I will be relocating far, far away from here before the end of the year, leaving friends and family behind in Barcelona. This way they will remember us at least for as long as the soap lasts, hahaha!

Big Band Blue soap, coloured with black oxide, ultramarine blue with a tad of TD, a blend of bordeaux mica with electric bubble gum for the red, and TD for the white. 
Oils used are olive, organic coconut, sustainable palm, organic shea butter, castor and corn. 
Scented with a blend of lavender, peppermint and tea tree essential oils.

Had lots of fun and hope I can find the time to enter more challenges in the future. 

Thanks Amy and all the participants in these challenges for providing so much inspiration!



14 comentarios :

  1. Absolutely beautiful! You nailed it!!!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Stunning Soap & blue is my favourite color too :)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you, Pooja! Blue is also my dauther's favourite colour. I prefer red, but that's in there too ;-)

      Eliminar
  3. Wow! I love the colors together. ¡Muy lindo jabón!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Muchas gracias! By the way, I signed up to follow your blog, Love your soaps and, besides, I wouldn't want to miss the results of your project on DOS for the life of me! Thank you for sharing that!

      Eliminar
  4. Gorgeous soap! I love the color combination and the swirls really came out perfectly against the black.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you! I am not sure now the soap batter was all that right for a proper drop swirl, some say you need a light trace and mine was more like medium, but it was indeed right for the effect I wanted to achieve, so I'm happy with it.

      Eliminar
  5. Wow....it's beautiful. Love the colours together :)

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Blue isn't my favorite color, but the color combination of your Big Band Blue soaps came out wonderful. :-)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you! What's best is that my daughter is very happy I made a soap with "her colours"

      Eliminar
  7. It's beautiful, Anna! I'm so glad you decided to join us! I love the theme and heart behind the soap. Makes it even more special. :)

    ResponderEliminar
  8. Thank you Amy! I am glad I took part this time too! It's so much fun!

    ResponderEliminar